Tuesday 20 May 2008

Medical Check Up Part II

The medical centre doctors & nurses must be so happy to see me leave when i finished my medical examination. I tormented them with silly questions which I myself laughed now that I think about it.

First of all they checked my height and weight.


Nurse: Your height is 157cm and weight 47kg.
Me: WHAT ?! i tot im 165cm. Are u sure ? Did i shrink ?

Nurse: (smiling) When did you last take ur measurements?
Me: I can't remember. Err... primary school ?

Nurse: Right. (looking at me as though i'm insane) You would have grown since 12 years old.
Me: Hmm, maybe i juz assumed i'm 165cm.
Nurse: That's probably it.


Then they asked me for the urine sample and blood test. Again i asked the nurse:


Me: What do they wanna test ?
Nurse: Nothing lah, juz test ur hemogoblin. See if you have enough "iron" to work.

Me: How about Cancer & Aids all all the other uncurable disease?

Nurse: (laughing) Why u worry so much ? Nothing one lah.


After that i was asked to fill in some forms where i was suppose to tick "yes" or "no" to those questions. I was then asked to go into the doctor's room for a chat. She was nice.


Doctor: No allergies, No diabetes history in the family?
Me: Nope


Doctor then turns to 2nd page of the form.

Doctor: Oh! A smoker! Are u planning to quit ?
Me: Yes

Doctor: May i ask when?
Me: 1st January 2008

Doctor: (laughing) That's way past, my dear.

Me: (laughing) I know.

Doctor: Did you try the patch or just went cold turkey ?
Me: Cold turkey and then the patch and also the stupid nicotine gum which gave me a sore throat for weeks. All of it doesn't work. They're just a scheme to cheat my money.

Doctor: It's a habit. You know what, I am going to put u on a 10 week smoking therapy program.


She proceeded to explain that I am suppose to stick a huge calendar on my wall and for the first week, I am allowed 10 sticks. The second week, i reduced to 9 sticks per day and so on. After each week, I draw a line across them and pat myself on the back. She made me promise i will follow the therapy. Well, why not ? I am planning to quit after all.


Doctor: When are you planning to start this program?
Me: Next Monday.
Doctor: How about today? If you really want to quit, do not wait. Do it now. TODAY.
Me: I have to buy the calendar first.
Doctor: I won't push you but it's for your own good. I will call you after 10 weeks and I hope to see that you have succesfully quit.
Me: I promise. I'll start on Monday.


And then she read the other line:


Doctor: YOU DRINK TOO ?!
Me: Occasionaly.

Doctor: Is it for business or social?

Me: Social.

Doctor: You have to promise me you will only drink one glass per week from now on.

Me: WHY ?! It's my stress reliever !!!!



Doctor explained about women's health, liver problems, conceiving etc etc.


Me: I'll try but i cant promise. I'll do the smoking thingy though.


Doctor went on to list other horrible diseases that comes with smoking and drinking simultaneouly. Okay okay, I solemly promise that i will TRY to drink only one glass per week. I had to or else god knows how long i'll be sitting in that room.

Next up - the chest X-ray.

When i reached that department, i hand over the slip to the black faced nurse who was busy chatting on her mobile and was annoyed with my interuption. She asked me to go left of the corridor and wait there. Fine. A moment later a very handsome doctor wearing those white doctor's coat like Patrick Dempsey at Grey's Anatomy came over.


Handsome: Miss Lim ?
Me: Yes (WOW - he sounds sexy with that perfect English and accent. I quickly ran a finger through my hair, hope it dunt look messy)
Handsome: You are here for the x-ray ?
Me: A-huh.
Handsome: When was your first day of your last period ?
Me: huh ?? WHAT ?! (OH! he's a doctor. right. there goes my plan to flirt)
Handsome: (smiling - looking so sexy) We need to know, in case you're pregnant.
Me: I am single and no bf (god, why did i say that ? now i sound desperate)
Handsome: (laughing) Miss lim, it's just for the records.
Me: I'm definately not pregnant. I dunt have a bf and i havent had se....... pause. (Jesus ! Calm down !! Too much info !!) Err... i think it was last month. Umm...25th - 28th. Around there.
Handsome: (scribbling with his left hand. A left hander!!! I have a thing for left handers..). Right, Miss Lim please sign here and I will get you ready for your x-ray
Me: Sure.

I need to wait 15 mins for the x-ray report and during those times, i had a chance to glimpse at handsome a few more times. When i received the report, I went back to the health screening dept. and the people there asked me to come back at 2pm.

I had nothing to do so i went to Starbucks for a sandwich and a cup of iced chocolate. While munching & looking around for other handsome doctors, a rich aunty (with LV bag and gold chains all over and a huge diamond ring) pointed to my drink and told her hubby loudly that she wants whatever i am drinking. How rude. All she had to do was ask me instead of pointing. Where is the tact ? I gave her my most bitchiest look. She look away and demanded hubby to get the coffee i'm drinking. I would have stayed to see her reaction when aunty found out i am drinking Iced Chocolate but i was anxious about my report and went back to the health screening department.

The nurse gave me my x-ray, congratulate me that everything's normal and told me that if they dun't call me by 12 noon tommorow, I am fine. YAY ! I dunt have LUNG CANCER !! I'm gonna buy the calendar tommorow. BUT on the other hand, i have to wait another 24 hours for the blood test results. Another 24 hours of pure anxiety. Great.

I have half a mind to switch off my mobile. Nah, that will make matters worse. I have to know. I hope my mobile dunt ring these 24 hours !! Please ! Please!

Friends & Family, DO NOT call me these 24 hours. I am terrified each time it rings.

2 comments:

Jimmy HH Lim said...

YOu are so into the UEFA Champ, what happened to your blood test?

Corinne said...

hehe...ill let u know later :)