Monday 2 June 2008

First Day @ Work

As usual, the first thing was the introduction to the other staffs, half of which I can't remember their names. I'm sorry, there's just too many of you. I found out that I have a "mentor" which is suppose to help and welcome me and also treat me to some free breakfast/lunch. Btw, all my breakfast, lunch & tea today was paid for by my boss who also paid for my first month parking fee. He says it's his way to treat his staff on her first day.

Next week there is suppose to be an "orientation" to welcome all the newbies in the company. Plus, our faces and details are posted on the bulletin board for everyone to see. I've never been made to feel so "welcome" in any of the companies I've previously worked with. It's kinda nice.

The only slight hitch is my workstation is located right in the middle of the open office concept, with my immediate boss next to me and people surrounding me. For the first time in my entire professional life, I have not surfed all my favourite sites, no Manutd.com, no Soccernet, no Lelong, no Youtube, no Blog & no FACEBOOK !!

Even when I check my personal email, I juz skim through the important ones. I downloaded Windows Messanger but I was too afraid to chat so I had to do it discreetly and chose to chat only to my Canadian friend and my uni mate, Sue.

These people are serious at their work, which is a good thing. They do not fool around during office hours but they will relax and chat during lunch time and after office hours.

I kinda like it. Of course, the first 1 - 2 weeks is always the "honeymoon" period. After that, I will need to show the numbers or else I am dead. But so far so good.

No comments: