Saturday 13 October 2007

Titanic

Yesterday i was suppose to have lunch with some of my favourite friends at the newly opened Jaya 33. I was looking forward to it as I have been "jailed" in the office from 8.30 to 1700 for the past two weeks, except to go out for some appointments with customers. There's simply no chance to slip out for any coffee breaks to catch up on the latest gossips.

Around 9.30, while i was making my morning coffee at the pantry, my boss came up to me and asked me to follow them to Port Klang for a meeting with our Titanic customer. OK lah, i thought we can still make it back by 1300, i'll just be a bit late. I am quite excited to go for the meeting since I've never been on a real Titanic before. If I'm lucky, i might have a tour and meet some cute sailors.....

The meeting ended around 1215 and i happily sms my frens informing them i'll most probably arrive at 1315. Five minutes later while in the car, my boss asked us if we would like to have lunch at Teluk Gong. Aiseh..... how to tell him i have a personal lunch appointment? My collegues was there too and they have not been to Teluk Gong for seafood, I dun't think it's nice to deprived them of this luxurious lunch privilege, so I sms my frens again to cancel and is now known as the FFK (FONG FEI KEI) Queen....hahaha....

Anyway, I did have a good time at the customer's place. There was no tour but I saw a few gweilo pilots walking around and a small titanic parked at the dock? or port ? What terms do u use ?

I stole a picture of it from the window:












Not very clear but u can still catch a glimpse of the ship

It's overall another pleasant week and I have the long weekend to look forward since it's the RAYA holidays. Time to catch up on some sleep and tv.

*Selamat Hari Raya to all my Muslim friends*

4 comments:

Tim said...

Harbour?
Jetty?
Shore?
Seawall?
Breakwater?

Gosh, its time to do revision on my civil/structural lessons.

the_force said...

Corinne, did you try the todi at TG?

Orchipalar said...

Corinne dear,
Please permit me to add that normally you would say a vessel is berthed(in water) at a dock, or jetty, or pier, a quay, or at a larger scale, a wharf, for loading or discharging purposes to be appropriate.

Dry dock, would mean that a vessel is docked above water, normally for major repairs.

As in your pic, the vessel is 'starboard' berthed, meaning it's berthed on the right side of the vessel along the dock.

The left of the vessel is called the 'port' or 'portside'.

While the 'bow' signify the front end, the 'stern' signify the rear end(pun intended) of the vessel or boat.

Hope that helps...have a great week ahead, and do drive safe!

Corinne said...

thx for the clarification tim/orchipalar.

the force: i tried b4, didnt like it :)